We are all so different, and it is a taboo in our culture, though some people feel that more than others. But I feel like TMHP will find strength in diversity. Maybe counter-intuitively, I think that the more diverse we are, the more likely it will be for any one woman to find someone she relates to on a deep level. This isn't just for women who are menstruating, or for any one particular cultural viewpoint. This is for all of us.
I went to a women's expo in Mankato, MN yesterday. I was helping a friend with her booth there. It was wild to interact with so many women, to see such diversity among them, but also to know that this is a small slice of it: Midwestern white women. I didn't see anyone who wasn't white. No one spoke with an accent. The style of dress was Midwestern, conservative. I wore Tevas with a nice skirt, which would be usual enough in places I've lived on the West Coast, but here, all the booth presenters wore heels. Make-up was omnipresent, to varying degrees. I felt better when the attendees started filtering in, in more casual attire. It was fun.
I was grateful for the opportunity to do this. I learned so much about how something like that works. I imagined doing a TMHP booth at events like that one. It gave me a lot of good ideas. We will need to do a lot of outreach. I brought a stack of flyers (which ran my boyfriend's new printer ink cartridge almost out of ink in one night!) but there was nowhere obvious to put them, and my primary purpose this time was to help my friend with her project. I finally worked it out with expo workers to leave a stack on the corner of an empty table near the entrance. I don't know how many actually made it into the hands of interested women. It seemed like the stack was thinner when I went back.
Things are slowly gathering momentum...
No comments:
Post a Comment